Welcome to Split Rock Park Campground!
On the Northwestern edge of Garretson, a small waterfall is created by a dam across the Split Rock Creek, drawing the eye and attention of all who cross the bridge into town. This beautiful dam was created in 1934 by WPA workers who laid native stone across the river, and was updated in 2016.
Split Rock Park houses both RV and tent camping sites, boat launch areas that are perfect for canoes and kayaks, a small swimming area north of the dam, a beautiful view of three unique bridges, playground, fishing areas, and an old Sioux Quartzite bathhouse that now houses a small museum and snack area.
The Jesse James Pontoon sets sail by appointment during the summer months, showcasing the beautiful rock canyons and wildlife that is found north of the park. South of the dam is another kayak and canoe launch, which allows for travel down to Palisades State Park by water. With downtown Garretson just three short blocks away and Devil's Gulch right next door, Split Rock Park is a wonderful space to camp and play.
We are open April 1st to October 31st, weather dependent.
NOW OPEN: The Split Rock Park Visitor's Center is open daily 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. until Labor Day. Enjoy souvenirs, ice cream, coffee, and more!
- All campground sites have 1 fire ring w/cooking grate and 1 picnic table.
- City Park hours are 8:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Drinking water (Water hydrant)
- Electrical campground sites
- Historical Quartzite Bathhouse Information Center (including souvenirs & treats)
- Picnic Shelter (ADA Accessible) has electricity, 8 picnic tables, a wooden counter, a charcoal/wood BBQ grill and trash cans.
- Porta Potties
- Trash can container located by vault toilets (all garbage must be bagged)
- Vault Toilets (ADA Accessible)
- Bird Watching
- Fishing along Split Rock Creek
- Historical Interest (Quartzite dam, bathhouse, fishing bridge)
- Historical Markers “Garretson” located at the entrance of Split Rock Park and Campground
- “Festival of Progress” located inside Split Rock Park and Campground at the entrance of the quartzite bathhouse.
- Jesse James Pontoon rides on the scenic Split Rock Creek are available by calling Captain Bruce Rekstad at 605-594-2225.
- Museum - Garretson Area Historical Society located at 613 N. Main Ave. For more information call 605-594-3863
- Relax and take in the scenery on one of the many sponsored park benches throughout the park.
- Sightseeing within the park and campground and our other parks- Devil’s Gulch and information center located at 616 5th St. Garretson, S.D. and Palisades State Park located at 25495 485th Ave. Garretson, S.D. (S.D. state park permit required).
- Shopping, Eating, Drinking, Wineries at one of many local businesses on Main Ave. and within the City of Garretson area.
- Swimming is available at the Garretson Swimming Pool located off Essex Street and Center Avenue in the sports complex. For information or inquiries, please call 605-594-3126 June-August.
For an in-depth map of Split Rock Park Campground, please click here.
LocationClick to open the map
The picnic shelter is rented by the day. Hours of use are 9 am - 9 pm.
There is no dumping gray or black water tanks at sites. However, there is a dump station at 612 5th Street.
Quiet time is from 11pm to 8 am.
Fireworks are prohibited.
Firewood must be purchased locally. Please do not bring it in from other areas. Use fire pits for wood burning only. Please do not discard glass, aluminum cans, plastic, or styrofoam in fire pits.
Sites may only fit 2 vehicles, but there is plenty of overflow parking in the parking lot.
Pets are welcome at the park, but must be kept on a leash and cleaned up after. Pets who disturb fellow campers will receive one warning only.
In case of inclement weather, Zion Lutheran Church, located at 212 N Center Avenue, will be used as a shelter.
Park Staff is available from 8am to 10pm. You can call for assistance at (605) 323-5031 or cell (605) 594-2225. If you have a problem after hours, the local police non-emergency line is (605) 367-7000. If it is an emergency, dial 9-1-1.